Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
–Luke 11: 8
This is what Jesus said when he was teaching his disciples on the topic. The way to receive the Holy Spirit is simple, you need to ask God. Ask and He will pour out his Spirit on you. The key here is as he pours out his Spirit on you, you will need to drink. Nobody can force you to drink, out of your own free will you have to pray, drink and invite him into your life. Keep in mind that this is your second baptism, through this your receive the gift of life and from this point on God lives inside you.
You also must trust that God loves you and will not harm you if you ask him for something good. He most certainly will not give you anything evil or let the devil put anything inside you.
If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
–Luke 11: 11-13
You need to ask God sincerely, you need to believe that it is his Will to give you this blessing. You need to believe that Jesus promised the Holy Spirit to you before he left and He will honor his word. God looks at your heart, he sees if you trust him and are willing to surrender to him.
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
–Luke 11: 9
Some people receive the Holy Spirit instantly when they ask God. Some others get Him when someone prays over them or lays hands, while for many others it takes time. You need to persist and be willing to change and surrender to God. Don’t get angry, discouraged or stop believing if you don’t see results immediately. Sometimes God may want to teach you something, sometimes God waits for the perfect moment but He always comes through.
Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves; For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?
And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee. I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
–Luke 11: 5-8
What Jesus is trying to say here is that, sometimes your friend may say no, when you ask him for something because he is busy and the time is not right. If you however, persist and keep asking him, he will eventually listen to you and give you what you ask for. It is the same with when you ask for the Holy Spirit, sometimes you yourself may not be ready or it may not be the best of times, but if you persist and ask God to bless you with the Holy Spirit he will listen to you.
The Apostles taught that one needs to be baptized before he can receive the Holy Spirit, although in some cases God blesses people with the Spirit even otherwise. If you have received the Holy Spirit before your baptism, thank God and get baptized as soon as you can.
Whether or not to give you the Holy Spirit and the timing is the sovereign Will of God. Nobody can force Him or manipulate the situation.
Here are a few pointers that will help you and bring you closer to your desire of receiving the Holy Spirit.
- Don’t be a drunkard/smoker or an addict to anything worldly, if you are, then make a commitment to stop. Treat your body as a temple of the Holy Spirit, The Bible says you need to present it as a living sacrifice to God. He will help you with your addictions but deep down you must want to be set free.
- God will hear you if you pray according to his Will. You receiving the Holy Spirit is God’s Will for you, it’s his promise. He will most certainly hear you when you pray this
- You must thirst for him, and be humble. God resists the proud. Fasting is a God appointed way of getting rid of pride.
- You must treasure and value him. God won’t give you something so precious if you are going to treat it like a fad and soon forget about it and do your own thing. God waits sometimes to see if you are serious.
- Don’t be materialistic but transform your mind and desire spiritual things, nothing in this world can satisfy you. Everything here is temporary including your stay on earth.
- Confess your sins to God and repent. Ideally there should be no unconfessed sin in your life. The Holy Spirit usually does not fill an unclean vessel. You don’t need a priest, you can just talk to God directly and say sorry. He hears and sees everything.
- As long as you are willing not repeat your mistakes again, he will forgive you. God knows it is impossible for you to never sin again. He sees your heart, if you are truly sorry and are willing to make an effort not to repeat your mistakes he is happy to work with you.
- Trust in Jesus when you ask him for the gift. Faith is the key here, you must believe that you will receive when you ask.
“We were all made to drink of one Spirit”
–1 Corinthians 12:13
- Drink, The spirit is poured out; remember no one can force you to drink. You need to drink for him to fill you. To drink here means to be spiritually open to God working in your life. Do not shut yourself down in unbelief.
Once you receive him give thanks to Jesus and praise and from this day on keep giving thanks, for everything that you are going to receive. You have truly received the greatest gift in this world and the next.
Thanks for Reading. God bless you.
Please Share and Write to us about your experience. We will like to hear from you.